Thursday, September 23, 2004

I [heart] movies

Last night was the I [heart] Huckabees premiere. I worked at will call. Of course no big stars come up and get their tickets at will call. Nicole Kidman doesn't have to go to will call. Is will call one word or two? So I didn't see any of the huge names. I did see Mike White, which was exciting for me because The Good Girl is one of my favorite movies. I handed Spike Jonze his tickets. And Pedro, from Napoleon Dynamite. It was pretty cool, I guess. Oh, Julie Delpy's rep isn't very nice. Julie Delpy wasn't on the list so I told them that and of course she says, but we RSVPed. I just said sorry and she kept on looking at me like she absolutely hated me, like she thought if she looked at me long enough I would all of a sudden think she was important. And she had these really thin arms. She looked like she was made of nothing. She finally got her tickets anyway. The other people who were with her were embarassed by her attitude. Couldn't she see that? I just don't understand why people think they are better than me because they represent or assist some french actress who I've only ever seen in two movies. While all this was going on Julie kind of peeked her head in like if I saw her tickets would materialize. But I thought it was kind of cute. She was all french and shy. Working the premiere was like working at the movie theater (I worked for Laemmle for three and half years), people always complain about the same things, whether they are semi-famous or not. Movies are so weird. I mean, I love them. Everyone loves them, but its like the experience of going to the movies brings out the worst in people. They are also strange because they are something that people enjoy on such a personal level, like if you love a movie a lot, it is your movie and only yours because you have attatched it to your experience. But you can't really do that with movies, they aren't like books, you watch them in groups, in rows, with strangers. Imagine reading a book with the words projected on to a screen. I don't remember who said this, but it was mentioned in 405, that writing is a solitary profession because reading is a solitary act. It takes so many people to make a movie and to sell a movie, and promote a movie. But I think that people want to be entertained on a personal level. I like going to the matinee shows because it means less people. So why don't more people read?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home