Saturday, August 27, 2005

starbucks and j dubs

this morning i went to the starbucks that is in the grocery store to get an iced vanilla latte. the line was long and i hadn't even washed my face. I was wearing my glasses, and my sunglasses over my glasses. when the guy asked for my name i hesitated. i usually use the name inez, but felt weird saying my name was inez in an area where the majority of people around me where hispanic. i felt like they would see right through me. i used my back up name, dagney. the starbucks workers rarely get this one right. i usually get a cup that has daphne written on it. there is no way my name would ever be daphne. i don't even know anyone named daphne. today, though, my cup had the name maggie written on it. thats a new one.

since i was on third and the payless shoe source is on third and catalina i decided to go. i had seen a pair of shoes i wanted on the tv. i parked on catalina. there was a group of hispanics standing around a building dressed like they were going to church. they had fliers. i'm pretty sure they were jehovah's witnesses. or j dubs as daniel calls them. which reminds me that i saw a women in line at starbuck wearing a t-shirt that had all these colorful animals on it, a lion, elephant, giraffe, the usual. i expected it to say, san diego zoo or something, but it said, kingdom of the son. i assume this women was a jehovah's witness as well. there was a girl i went to school with who was a jehovah's witness. Her name was Zina Helzer and she was really cool. When we were 13 we tried to start a magazine called, phat & hip. we only got as far as taking pictures of our friends in clothes we thought were cool. but other j dubs would knock on our door and give me a flier. the picture on the front was of a rainforest, every thing was lush and green, and there was always this lion that seemed larger than life, and a human was standing next it, petting it. i think this was the j dubs idea of heaven, petting lions. i still don't know much about jehovah's witnesses except that they are really into being friends with animals, mainly lions.

i was in payless for a long time because they have a lot of cute shoes. i was getting worried about my meter. i had only put in a dime giving me twenty four minutes and i had easily been looking at shoes over a half an hour. i made my decision (the shoes i saw on the television and some strappy, heeled sandals that gave me a blister, then i took dance class and the blister filled with blood). i was thinking that if my meter ran out, would the witnesses put more money in? would that be the christian thing to do? when i got out to my car i didn't have a ticket. i didn't check my meter to see if i was out of time. i'll just assume the j dubs helped me out. they didn't even try to hand me a flier. sometimes its nice to have a language barrier. this all happend in the first hour after i woke up. it was one of the longest hours of my life. i like that sometimes though, like time has slowed down and i can notice things that i hadn't before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home