Friday, September 10, 2004

Mermaid Story

Here is a something I am working on:

When I got home from the bar I went straight into my apartment. I completely forgot about the mermaid in my car. When I sat down to go to the bathroom though, she was lying in the tub, submerged in water. Her eyes were open and when she saw me she stuck her hand out the water and I reached out and we pressed our palms together.

I felt such a large sense of relief that she was still there. I began to feel guilty for leaving her in the car, but she looked okay. She was smiling, her hair levitating around her face. She was so self-reliant and I began to feel ashamed that I assumed she even needed me or wanted me.

The next morning I poached some eggs. When I got up the mermaid was still lying in the tub. She would basically eat anything. At first I thought she would only want fish or seaweed. There was a knock at the door and I felt this strange sense of hope. Maybe it was James, maybe he was sorry, maybe he was being romantic. Deep down I knew it wasn't him though because people only show on other people's door steps unexpectedly in movies, and James isn't romantic, and this isn't a movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home